2015 Staff Application - Due April 1st
Watch a YLF Promotional Video
Watch the 2014 YLF Slide Show
Wanted: Future Community Leaders
Office of Persons with Disabilities in partnership with the Department
for the Blind and Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services is sponsoring
a leadership training program for students with disabilities. Approximately
40 sophomores, juniors and seniors with disabilities will be selected. Students
will be diverse in disability, gender, ethnicity, and geographical
What kind of students participate in the Youth Leadership Forum?
Young People Who Have Disabilities and Who...
- Demonstrate Leadership Potential
- Demonstrate Involvement/Interest in Extracurricular Activities (such
as Sports, the Arts, or Music)
- Demonstrate Community Involvement
- Demonstrate the Ability to Interact Effectively with Other Students
What will happen at the forum?
- Share information on choosing careers, history or disability culture,
assistive technology for independence;
- Identify existing barriers to personal and professional success
and develop plans to deal with those barriers;
a "Personal Leadership Plan";
- Interact with others with similar Hopes and Dreams.
- Young people
with disabilities will become employed and self-sufficient;
- Young people with disabilities will be knowledgeable about resources
available to them to become successfule adults;
- Young people with disabilities will be exposed to professionals
with disabilities who are recognized leaders and role models.
- Mileage will be reimbursed at the rate of .25/mile to help offset the cost of transportation to and from the forum. There are no other expenses.
Exciting, fun, educational five-day leadership training program includes:
tour of the State Capitol, meeting with community leaders with
disabilities, and hearing from speakers.
of the documents here at DHR are in PDF format. This format requires
a PDF Reader which is available for free at Adobe Systems. Learn
more about Adobe's
PDF Reader and how to install it on your computer.