to the Iowa Division of Persons
The Division of Persons with Disabilities is an agency located
within the Department of Human Rights. The Commission was established
in 1965 by the Iowa Legislature.The 8-member commission is appointed
by the Governor to equalize opportunities for full participation
in employment and other areas of the state's economic, educational,
social and political life for Iowans with disabilities. Through
education, advocacy, referral, technical assistance, legislative
action and special projects, we work to achieve these goals.
All services are in compliance with all state and federal civil
Disability Resource Network
TAX CREDIT INFORMATION:
Iowa Small Business
Assistive Tax Credit (Iowa Code 422.11E,
422.33(9) and 261 IAC 66)
Contact the Iowa
Department of Revenue for more information
out the Secretary of State's web page for official
voter registration details & downloads.
for the 2013 Iowa Youth
Leadership Forum and are now available!!! The YLF Application
process is now completed.
Click here to watch the YLF promotional video on YouTube.
will happen at the forum?
Wanted: Future Community Leaders
Division of Persons with Disabilities in partnership with the Department
for the Blind and Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services is sponsoring
a leadership training program for students with disabilities. Approximately
30 juniors and seniors with disabilities will be selected. Students
will be diverse in disability, gender, ethnicity, and geographical
What kind of students participate in the Youth Leadership Forum?
Young People Who Have Disabilities and Who...
- Demonstrate Leadership Potential
- Demonstrate Involvement/Interest in Extracurricular Activities (such
as Sports, the Arts, or Music)
- Demonstrate Community Involvement
- Demonstrate the Ability to Interact Effectively with Other Students
What will happen at the forum?
- Share information on choosing careers, history or disability culture,
assistive technology for independence;
- Identify existing barriers to personal and professional success
and develop plans to deal with those barriers;
a "Personal Leadership Plan";
- Interact with others with similar Hopes and Dreams.
- Young people
with disabilities will become employed and self-sufficient;
- Young people with disabilities will be knowledgeable about resources
available to them to become successfule adults;
- Young people with disabilities will be exposed to professionals
with disabilities who are recognized leaders and role models.
Transportation cost to and from the forum may be waived in special
circumstances. No other expenses.
- Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities will pay for
the following appropriate expenses:
- accommodations for student delegates to attend including but not
limited to: interpreters, alternative format materials, personal
- scholarships based on need to defray travel expenses to the forum
Exciting, fun, educational five-day leadership training program includes:
tour of the State Capitol, meeting with community leaders with
disabilities, and hearing from speakers.
of the documents here at DHR are in PDF format. This format requires
a PDF Reader which is available for free at Adobe Systems. Learn
more about Adobe's
PDF Reader and how to install it on your computer.