Instructions for Academic Coursework

Instructions for CMP Participants

Step One:
Choose the course you want to attend at an accredited college or university. The course does not
have to pertain strictly to interpreting... it can be a course in Linguistics, Business, Psychology,
Social Work, etc. As long as the course is educationally beneficial to you as an interpreter, it
can earn CEUs for you!

Step Two:

Contact an RID Approved Sponsor to secure their agreement to process the paperwork for the
course. Be sure to discuss the Content Area for which you are applying (Professional Studies or
General Studies) and how many CEUs will be earned. The standard formula for determining the
number of CEUs per course is as follows:
1.5 CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a semester session.
1.0 CEUs per credit hour for a course taken in a quarter session.

Step Three:

Complete the Academic Coursework Activity Report form from your Sponsor.
Attach pertinent documentation such as a course outline and/or documentation that
college/university is accredited through the Council for Higher Education Accreditation
(CHEA). Upon completion of the course, attach a copy of the transcript showing successful
of the course with a grade of C of higher (2.0).

Step Four:

Return the form and documentation to your Sponsor, who will send the completed paperwork to the National Office.

Please Note: Academic Coursework can be processed for CEUs after the course has actually been completed. However, the course work must have been taken during the CMP participant’s current cycle.

Updated January 2006