Friday, July 22, 2011
Urbandale Public Library, Meeting Room A
Des Moines, Iowa
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The DSCI Commission Meeting was called to order by Chair Theresa Legg at 1:02 p.m.,
Friday, July 22, 2011, Urbandale Public Library, Meeting Room A, Urbandale, IA.
Members present: Theresa Legg, Dr. James Snyder, Gus Cordero, Nathaniel Garrels, Jennifer Keaton and Tina Kastendieck
Members absent: Robert Vizzini
Staff members present: Suzy Mannella, Stephanie Lyons, Linda Scott, Danielle Plogmann, Asst. to the Director and San Wong, Ex-Officio
Interpreters: Peggy Chicoine, Renee Johnson, Jeff Reese and Joe Trelstad
Captioner: Karrie Truitt
Commissioners, staff and interpreters were introduced, visitors recognized and ground rules for the meeting established.
Approval of the Agenda:
Motion #12-01: Motion to approve the agenda as presented. Snyder/Cordero All in favor, motion carried.
Approval of Minutes from May 6, 2011:
Motion #12-02: There being no additions, deletions or corrections to the minutes from the May 6, 2011 meeting, motion to approve the minutes as presented. Snyder/Cordero All in favor, motion carried.
DHR Board Representative Report:
Snyder provided the Commission with updates from the DHR Board. Snyder stressed the importance for the commissioners to contact their legislators, let them know who they are and attend any events those legislators may hold to keep in touch. It is important that the commissioners have a relationship with their state representative and state senator. The same would go for anyone in the community so that they are familiar with their state representative and state senator to make their wishes known in the coming months.
· continues to work with clients providing information, education and outreach
· is working with Nancy Bradley, a 911 trainer, who gives presentations to both the hearing and deaf community. They are working together to develop a 911 Vlog for the DSCI website now, then will be looking at an E911 Vlog
· attended the last Sign Language and Transliterator Board meeting
· discussed the possibility of the Y Camp in Boone hosting the JCP Camp for a week, Saturday to Saturday, June 2012, with planned activities, leadership curriculum, and a change in ages attending to 9-17 yrs old rather than keeping attendance for those entering 7th grade-12th grade. Mannella thinks that with this change, there should be an increase in attendance by holding Camp at the Y, attendees will have to pay for the Camp, but the Y has a financial assistance program available. Any money DSCI would have would be used for interpreting services and counselors
· asked the commissioners to submit data to her on when, or if, they know of any deaf or hard of hearing individuals who have been denied access to anything. The office will keep track and begin categorizing the information to have ready for the commission at a later date
· passed out a new Commissioner Handbook to act as a guide for the upcoming year
· November meeting will be devoted to the Deaf Children’s Educational Bill of Rights and preparing for the upcoming Legislative session
· February meeting will look into the final version of the Deaf Children’s Educational Bill of Rights
Meghan Moratz attended the meeting and presented before the commission expressing her concern over the shortage of sign language interpreter and giving her suggestions on solving the shortage. Ms. Moratz can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction of the Director:
Director Wong introduced herself to the commissioners and looks forward to working with each of them.
Contractual Interpreting Funds for FY2012:
Contractual funding has been approved for FY2012. The office has started to accept requests. We have $5,000 in the budget – not the $7,000 approved at the last meeting.
Motion #12-03: Motion to nominate Nathaniel Garrels to serve as Vice-Chair. Snyder/Cordero Garrels accepted the nomination. There being no further nominations, all in favor, motion carried.
FY2012 meeting dates for November, February and May. After discussion, it was determined Saturdays worked out best for the commissioners. Therefore, it was unanimously determined that Saturday, November 19, 2011, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; Saturday, February 25, 2012, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. and Saturday, May 5, 2012, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. would be the dates of the next three (3) meetings with locations to be determined and announced ahead of time.
Director Wong also announced that there would be a Commissioner Orientation in the very near future. Right now it appears that August 19, 2011 will be the date, but all commissioners will be advised by e-mail.
Commissioner packets are usually sent out two (2) weeks prior to the meeting. Mannella asked if there were any changes to that schedule the commissioners would like to see take place. There being none, mailings will stay the same.
- Legg provided a flyer on the upcoming appearance of Marlee Maitlin at the Mall of America, October 1, 2011
- Keaton is hopeful that DSCI will host a Town Hall Meeting on Project Endeavor with the goal being that deaf and hard of hearing people, low income residents be provided laptops for video access to the community, for doctor’s appointments, for communication with medical staff of all kinds, schools, etc. Commission will be kept posted on a definite date.
- Snyder announced that if any of the commissioners needed a list of state representative or state senators with pertinent information, just let him know and he will provide another list. It is important that we keep in contact with our respective legislative representation.
There being no further business, meeting adjourned at 3:19 p.m.
Theresa Legg, Chair
Linda Scott, Secretary