†††††††††††††††††††††† †Commission Meeting
††††††††††††††††††††††† Friday, May 14, 2010
†††††† †††† †††††††Urbandale Public Library
†††††††††††††††††††††††††† Urbandale, Iowa
†††††††††††††††††††† ††10:00 a.m. Ė 1:00 p.m.
The DSCI Commission Meeting was called to order by Chairperson Theresa Legg at 10:00 a.m., Friday, May 14, 2010, Urbandale Public Library, Urbandale, IA
Members present: Theresa Legg, Gus Cordero, Jan Fletcher, Dr. James Snyder and Robert Vizzini
Members absent:† Dr. James Grover, Tammy Westhoff-Gentry and Preston Daniels
Staff members present:† Kathryn Baumann-Reese, Stephanie Lyons, Suzy Mannella, and Linda Scott
Interpreters:† Peggy Chicoine, Renee Johnson and Kim Kischer-Larson
Captioners:† Donna Ellingson and Lisa Furney
Commissioners, staff, interpreters and captioners were introduced, visitors recognized and ground rules for the meeting presented.
Approval of Minutes from March 26 2010:
There being no changes to the minutes of the March 26, 2010 meeting, minutes stand approved as presented.† ††
- CSD will be sponsoring the movie ďThe Legend of the Mountain ManĒ on Saturday, May 22, 2010 in Cedar Rapids
- on June 26th,CSD will be celebrating its 10th anniversary
- CSD will be sponsoring the 5th annual baseball game with the Kernels on July 17th
- CSD has received a grant to hire Jennifer Upah as a domestic violence consultant
- attended the CEPIN workshop in Ames on Friday, April 16th
- will be attending the IAD Board meeting in Mason City on May 15th
- plans to go to the NAD conference this summer
Snyder:†† No Report
Fletcher:† No Report
Vizzini:† No Report
- retiring from VR on June 24th.† Will be doing some community work, volunteering in the deaf community.† Will accept only phone calls from the deaf community who have serious issues
- helped new Commissioners understand DSCI and its process, referring to the Strategic Plan, as well as Commission business during the year and the departmentís fiscal year
- received a request from David Gleiser.† Mr. Gleiser is involved with the Iowa Democratic Party and his job is to ensure that all people are included in activities of the Democratic Party.† Wants to get in contact with the deaf, hard of hearing, blind, other disabilities, Latinos, and Asians so that they can take part.† Referred him to Don Miksell, President of IAD
- has been developing Vlogs since May and putting them on DSCIís website.† Just put together the second Vlog on interpreters and how one would go about getting an interpreter
- continues to work with clients, on ADA issues, sharing resources and information
- asked for Commissionersí input on articles that could be placed in E-News, DSCIís electronic newsletter
Baumann-Reese advised that contractual funds have run out for the fiscal year ending June 30th.† The majority of the funds were used for funerals and weddings.† For the benefit of new Commissioners, explained the procedure for requesting contractual funds and funding for FY2011.† Scott will be keeping a running list of those who have requested funds for 2010 and were turned down. ††2011 requests have already been received.
Commission discussed contractual funding and the need for additional money to support requests.
Since this was the last meeting for Commissioner Fletcher, Legg presented a plaque to her for her years of hard work and dedication to the Commission and the JCP Program.
DHR Reorganization Update/Deaf Services Staff
∑ in the absence of the department director, gave an overview of the reorganization of the Department of Human Rights and the changes with the restructure
∑ reminded the Commissioners about responding to outside inquires.† They should only respond to inquiries if they know the Commissionís position.† Commissioners can respond as a individual, but not as a Commissioner
∑ expects to set up training in the near future regarding contacts with the public and media and how to handle them as an individual and then as a group
∑ discussed the makeup of the new DHR Board.† Later in this meeting, the Commission will choose two (2) names to be given to the Governorís office.† He, in turn, will select one of those names to be on the DHR Board representing DSCI.† This will be an important position where this representative will stand up for the deaf and hard of hearing and their issues
∑ Director has asked Baumann-Reese to take over as the Administrator of the new Community Advocacy and Services Division (CAS) and she accepted the responsibility.† With that change, Mannella has been asked to become the Executive Officer for Deaf Services Commission of Iowa and she has accepted.† For the very first time in DSCIís history, a deaf person will be running the office
Critical Issues/Key Activities Discussion/Issues Committees:
Mannella reviewed the seven (7) critical issues and those who serve on these Committees.† Committees will be retained, and the new Commissioners added to Committees on which they would like to serve, and Commissioners can be on more than one Committee if they choose.
- Culturally Affirmative Mental Health Services/Substance Abuse and Aftercare Services
- Accessible Legal Representation
- Licensed Sign Language Interpreters Meeting Competency Standards
- Opportunities for Youth to Prepare for Employment and Adult Life
- Services that Specifically Address Issues for Those Who Lose Their Hearing Later
After discussion, Committees will be made up of:
1) Culturally Affirmative Mental Health Services/Substance Abuse and Aftercare Services:
Theresa Legg/Dr. James Snyder
2) Accessible Legal Representation:† Tammy Westhoff-Gentry/Dr. James Snyder/Stephanie Lyons
3) Licensed Sign Language Interpreters Meeting Competency Standards:† Theresa Legg/Robert Vizzini/Stephanie Lyons/Kathryn Baumann-Reese (only if needed)
4) Opportunities for Youth to Prepare for Employment and Adult Life:† Gus Cordero/Suzy Mannella
5) Services that Specifically Address Issues for Those Who Lose Their Hearing Later In Life:† Dr. Jim Grover/Dr. James Snyder
Staff will also attend Committee meetings if they have interest in the subject.† Mannella will serve on all of the Committees.† A date, time and location were set for the next meeting of each Committee.
Election of a Commissioner to Serve on the Human Rights Board
Baumann-Reese asked for names of those who might be interested in serving on the DHR Board.
Fletcher nominated Dr. James Snyder and Snyder accepted the nomination.† Robert Vizzini nominated Gus Cordero and Cordero accepted the nomination.† As Chairman of the Commission, Leggís names will also be sent to the Governorís Office for consideration.
August †Commission Meeting Date††
After discussion, it was decided by unanimous agreement that the next Commission meeting will be held on Friday, August 20, 2010 beginning at 10:00 a.m. with location to be determined.† Once a location has been found, the Commissioners will be notified by e-mail.
Announcements & Adjournment:†
Snyder alerted the Commission of two (2) incidents that have happened to him in the past couple of weeks where heís found few deaf people in the state know about DSCI.† He feels that we need more exposure and would like to work on getting the word out about the Commission and the Office of Deaf Services.† He also encountered a situation regarding legal representation and a deaf individual and thatís why he would like to sit on the Committee on Accessible Legal Representation.
Legg distributed three flyers to the Commission on upcoming CSD events.
There being no further business, meeting adjourned at 12:49 p.m.
Theresa Legg, Chair††††† ††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††Linda A. Scott, Secretary