Division of Community Action Agencies Iowa Department of Human Services William J. Brand, Administrator
Bureau of Community Services
Bureau of
Energy Assistance
Bureau of Weatherization
Iowa's Community Action Agencies
Application Sites
Iowa Code & Administative Rules
DCAA Meetings

I need help!

Where do I apply for services?

What about other programs?

Bureau of Energy Assistance:
Who's Eligible


The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to assist low-income families meet the cost of home heating. Applications are accepted on a first come/first served basis at your local community action agency from November 1, 2014 through April 30, 2015 (October 1 for households with elderly/disabled member), Monday through Friday, or as posted at the local office.

ELIGIBILITY A household may qualify for assistance in this program if the household’s income falls within the income range listed below. This program is not designed to pay a household’s total energy costs, but to provide assistance in the payment of residential heating costs for eligible households.

At the time you apply, providing you have brought all necessary documentation with you (proof of income for the last 13 weeks and a copy of your heating and electric bills), you will be told whether you are eligible and if so, for what amount you might qualify. This initial determination is subject to review and totally dependent on the availability of federal funds. In most cases, benefits will be in the form of a credit applied to your heating bill by your utility company. Households who reside in subsidized housing that are individually metered and responsible for paying their primary heating costs are eligible. Subsidized households that are master metered are usually not eligible to receive assistance benefits.

Residents of any licensed medical facility (hospital, skilled nursing facility or intermediate care facility), publicly or privately operated community residence or emergency shelter, assisted living facilities, extended-stay motels, are ineligible unless they are paying the vendor directly for their primary heating source. Residents/Roomers of Single Room Only (SRO) facilities are ineligible.

Utility Company Bill Inserts - FY 2015



Income Maximums

LiHEAP Eligibility
150% of Poverty (November 1, 2014 - April 30, 2015)

(Beginning October 1, 2014 for households with elderly/disabled members)

 Size of Household
Three Month Gross Income

 Annual Gross Income













* For households with more than six members, add $1,523 for a three-month period and $6,090 annually for each additional member.

* Medical Waiver: Households who are over LIHEAP regular income guidelines may be eligible for LIHEAP benefits through our medical waiver component. The medical expenses must be documented, paid, and non-reimbursable. For more information please contact your local community action agency.


Weatherization Eligibility
200% of Poverty (April 1, 2014 - March 31, 2015)

 Size of Household
Three Month Gross Income
 Annual Gross Income

* For households with more than eight members, add $2,030 for a three-month period and $8,120 annually for each additional member.

* NOTE: If the household is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Family Investment Program (FIP) Assistance, the household is eligible to receive Weatherization services, regardless of income.


Proof of Income

What to Take:

  • Proof of total household gross income from all sources (for all household members age 19 and over)
  • Most recent 3 months' check stubs, award letter from Social Security or 2013 tax return
  • Social Security numbers for all housefhold members (documentation required)
  • Recent heating bill
  • Recent electric bill

Fixed Income:

This income may include:

  • Social Security Benefits
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Aid to Families with Dependent Children
  • Family Investment Program
  • Veteran's Assistance
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Pensions
Wage Earners:

Please bring copies of your check stubs for the three months preceding the date of application or a copy of your federal income tax return


  • Your most recent federal income tax return
  • If you receive alimony or child support, it will need to be verified

TANF (FIP) Recipients:

Please bring your current DHS Notice of Decision or contact your local office for acceptable documentation

Include a copy of both your heating and electric bill, telephone bill, or any other documents showing your account numbers or energy suppliers. Social Security Numbers are required for all household members. For more information contact: (515) 281-0859.

If you suspect fraud is occurring with the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, please write to:

Iowa Department of Human Rights/D.C.A.A.
Lucas State Office Building
Des Moines, IA 50319

Anonymous complaints will not be accepted.

Lucas State Office Building, 321 E. 12th Street, 2nd Floor, Des Moines, Iowa 50319

Questions or Comments? Contact the webmaster.